Sunday, April 22, 2012

Birth Story, Part II


The pushing stage is somewhat of a blur to me.  I remember the midwife telling Mike to look at his baby’s head, and asking Mike if there was hair (he replied in a panic that yes there was hair but he couldn’t remember what color it was).  I remember feeling very exhausted and turning to the birth attendant and telling her that I had no idea how she could go through this NINE times.  I remember the midwife yelling at me to STOP PUSHING and finding out later that the cord was wrapped around the baby’s neck twice – thankfully she very quickly got it unwrapped with no ill effects.  I remember telling myself that if I could just get through ONE more push, maybe it would all be over and I would have my baby.  I remember telling myself that more times than I cared to.  But then…the moment came.

At first I didn’t realize that it had happened.  The midwife placed him on my chest immediately, but my eyes were closed and I was so exhausted that the birth attendant had to tell me “Open your eyes and see your baby!”

I will never, ever, for as long as I live, forget that moment.   He let our family in the next room know that he had arrived by crying quite lustily – my dad sent my brother a text that said “I think we have another baritone in the family!”  But I noticed nothing but my precious little boy.  For that moment, the whole world stopped for me, and I wasn’t aware of anything beyond the little bubble surrounding our new family.  

 

 
He came into the world with a full set of lungs, weighing 8 pounds 8 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.

Meeting daddy.

My birth experience was so special.   Mike was with me the whole time, and he did wonderfully at helping me relax and breathe through the contractions.  My mom was there almost the whole time, and it was so special to have her there for the birth.  My dad was even there to help me through some of the early stage of labor.  I am so glad that I was able to have the birth experience I hoped for.  I’m so glad I went with my heart.

1 comment:

Dee said...

:-) Nothing so exhausting or as exhilarating as giving birth.

Congrats to you and Mike! He's a cutie pie (the baby, I mean).