Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 13
On Tuesday we went to our second appointment at the place where we’ll be delivering, and it went really well.  We were able to hear the baby’s heartbeat this time, if only for a moment – I think we have a stubborn child on our hands!  He/she kept running away from the Doppler!  I find these appointments very reassuring above all things – yes, it’s normal to be experiencing fatigue and muscle weakness, it’s the result of hormonal changes.  Yes, it’s normal to feel uncomfortably full after meals; the baby is moving up closer to the stomach cavity.  Yes, we’ll gather around you to chant and sing if something goes wrong (kidding on that last one).

Before I got pregnant, the thought in my head was that I wanted to be as “normal” as possible throughout my pregnancy.  I didn’t want it to slow me down or keep me from doing things I would normally do, and I didn’t want to have to depend on other people to do things for little ol’ helpless me.  Since then, I’ve had to re-define what “normal” means for me.  And I’ve had to be okay with that.  For right now, “normal” means having to ask for help carrying my groceries from to the car because lifting the 10-pound bag of sugar from the bottom shelf almost did me in.  For awhile, “normal” meant Mike having to throw a frozen pizza in the oven for his dinner because I couldn’t go anywhere near food, and now I make dinner regularly, so I know that the symptoms I’m experiencing are temporary.  While I *do* get frustrated (like I’ve said before, slowing down is not in my nature), it’s for a good cause!  But I AM looking forward to starting to feel more “normal” by “normal” standards!

 
Here I am!  I was on a message board where many women were expressing angst over being between 18-20 weeks and not showing at all – I definitely do not have that problem!  I am really dreading the first time someone I don’t know wants to feel all up on my belly, because I fear I won’t be nice!    :)

Here are some answers to questions we’ve been getting lately:

When are you due? 
~Still April 14th!

Are you going to find out what you’re having?
~We already know what we’re having, it’s a……………….baby!  Tee hee   :)    But yes, we’re going to find out what we’re having, hopefully by the middle of November.  I honestly don’t see why anyone would NOT find out what they’re having if they have the option – my thought is, it’s still a SURPRISE when you find out, it’s just a few months earlier, so you have time to plan!

Are you hoping for a boy or a girl?
~Really, (and I can say this honestly) we waited so long for this baby that I don’t have a preference - I’m just thrilled it’s on the way!  On one hand, we’ve seen how precious little girls can be with our sweet niece Sarah.  BUT, both of us came from families where the boy is the oldest, which is also fun.  In some ways, boys are easier, and in some ways, girls are easier.  What we really want is a healthy baby!

What names do you like?
~We’re keeping our lips sealed on this one!  Sorry everyone, but we’ve seen friends and family put up with having to hear unwelcome opinions on their chosen name for their baby, and it’s harder to analyze/criticize a name in the face of a sweet newborn!  We’re both making a list separately, and we plan on exchanging our lists once we find out what we’re having. We’ll each be allowed to cross off names we HATE off the other person’s list, and we’ll use the leftovers to build our short list.  I really don’t see myself deciding for sure until I actually see the baby – I reserve the right to change my mind! I’m having fun making my list  :)  SOMEONE else needs to start his, however….


I’m really enjoying writing this blog – already I look back on some of the very first posts and am reminded on things I had forgotten.  It’s also a good way to keep friends and family updated!  Sometimes I think I sound like I am complaining an awful lot when I enumerate my (sometimes long) list of symptoms, but hey, anyone who’s been through it can tell you that pregnancy can be tough!  I am still so very excited and thrilled for this baby! I cannot WAIT to meet him/her, and every day it becomes a little more real! 

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Yes, I swear pregnancy redefines *normal*! But it gets you ready for parenthood where that *normal* is SO different than your married/no kids *normal*! I'm really enjoying this blog of yours! I completely agree with you abt finding out (if I could know after I peed on a stick, I'd have been happier)(and it IS still a surprise, just because I knew what the sex was did NOT prepare me for their smile or cry or personality. But I digress) And also good abt keeping names to yourself. I can't stand the debate you get when you start listing names you like. and if SOMEBODY doesn't start to make a list, well then I guess YOUR picks will win out!!!!