Friday, December 18, 2009

Darn Those Little Disease Vectors!

Somehow I wound up making it all the way to December before getting a cold - usually I'm out by October, so I'm quite proud of myself.  However, I could not have waited for a more inopportune time, because this week was the last week before school lets out for the holidays.  And lemme tell ya, trying to take care of first graders while hopped up on cold meds is no fun.  Even less fun when it's the last week before school lets out before winter break, a magical time when every parent of a December baby wants to bring in cake for their precious darling's birthday that will be missed during break....a time when telling the kids that you have Santa on speed dial is no longer a good enough threat to suppress their holiday "cheer."

Anyhoo, I was trying to read my first graders a book yesterday...trying being the operative word, because what I was really doing was sneezing uncontrollably.  But I didn't realize how bad it was, until one of my girls asked me, "Mrs. Wolfe, are you allergic to books?"

That day, I went to CVS and bought the GOOD cold medicine - the kind behind the counter, where they take down your driver's license number, mother's maiden name, and dental records.  Much better.  No longer allergic to books.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Yes the stuff behind the counter is GOOD!!!! Glad it helped.

Dee said...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

phyl said...

Hey,
I'm so sorry that you have been sick, especially this last week when you need all of the energy you can possibly have. These first couple of years are the worst because you tend to catch every little germ those little guys bring to school. It WILL get better as your immune system gets stronger. Feel better, enjoy these next few days and we look forward to seeing you guys next Friday evening!!
Love,
Phyl