Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's the Simple Things in Life...

Today I am enjoying a day off from school, thanks for our nation's Veterans.  I've had a blast re-discovering the joys of staying at home once in awhile!  I've gotten to spend some time with Miss Mollie -we went to the dog park, where she romped and ran and exhausted herself.  Of course when we come back, she lays down for about 5 minutes, then is ready to GO again!  It's been so long since I've had a puppy, I'd forgotten about how much work they are!  Sophie was always so....mellow.  You could literally leave a whole turkey on a table and walk out of the room for 5 minutes, and when you came back it wouldn't be touched.  Mollie once jumped in the air and grabbed a banana...OUT OF MY HAND.  Sophie was a great listener, I swear she could understand everything you told her.  If I wanted her to stop, all I had to do was hold up my hand and say, "stay," and it didn't matter how far away she was, if she could see me, she would do it.  And I never taught her to do any of that, she just did it!  But then again Sophie was a full adult when we got her.  Anyway, Mollie went out to the garage with me to do some laundry, because, let's face it, I can't even go to the bathroom by myself when she's around!  Usually she just sniffs around while I load our front-loading washer and dryer, but today she discovered that the world of swishing laundry is quite interesting!  She had her nose pressed up again the glass, her head making small circles as she followed the laundry being turned over and over.  It was so funny!  I'll have to bring a camera with me next time I got out in case she does it again.  It's just been so nice today to not have to HURRYHURRYHURRY through all the household chores - to slow down and actually enjoy them!  Thank you, veterans, not only for serving our country, but for letting me slow down and enjoy the little things in life!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Really, if you think abt it, when was the last time you were home BY YOURSELF!?! Between becoming a teacher and having a teenager (Nils), it's been awhile. Yes the quiet is LOVELY! Let's you enjoy the regular schedule.

Jacki said...

That is so true, Lynn!