Sunday, October 04, 2009

German Adventure Day 11: Tuesday, July 28th





Our last full day in Germany. This day was so surreal for me - not looking forward to the long plane ride home, taking care of my still-swollen foot, but mostly trying to take it all in one last time. I realized that while there were things I were sick of in Germany, I would come to miss them once I was back in the States. Now what I mostly feel is relief that I am finally done posting these pictures! But I will give this day the same attention every other day has gotten and tell you about our wonderful last day in Germany.





We started off the day taking a look at a farmer's markey in Kiel:




All the farmer's markets that we went to had lots of berries, fish, and FLOWERS! The climate is different, and as such the selection is different as well. But it's no less charming!





















Next we went to Lubeck, a town not far from Kiel. Much of its historic buildings were lost in World War II - do you see a theme in all my Germany posts?



However, the city has been rebuilt in keeping with the medieval theme. In fact, it was declared a World Heritage site in 1987!







The entire town is surrounded by water.








Mike with our generous and lovely hosts, the Mr. and Mrs. Wolfgang Hampe the Elder.









I just LOVED the architecture of Lubeck! If there is anything like this in America, I haven't seen it!








The churches in Lubeck are breathtaking. This is St. Mary's church (Marien zu Lübeck), constructed in the thirteenth century.


The Marienkirche is a prime example of the Brick Gothic style. The architecture and structure was groundbreaking for the time of its many renovations. Unfortunately, the church was almost completely burned out duried the Allied raid on Palm Sunday of 1942







We saw many, many organs in Germany, but this organ.....WOW! I can see why muscians like Handel and Back have played here!






The main nave (ceiling).







These are the bells that burned in the belltower on the night of the Allied raid in 1942. They were found when reconstruction was done,and the church was rebuilt around them. What a juxtaposition they made with the rest of the church!






Else lit a candle for our safe return to the States. A very simple gesture, yet so meaningful.







A big clock/calendar/schedule of everything happening in the world right now. I swear I stared at this thing for a full 10 minutes and I couldn't figure it out.





A Last Supper relief.







I took this picture from a second-story cafe where we tried some of the delicious marzipan that Lubeck is so famous for. Wolfgang and Else are such calm, relaxing people - the kind of people you can just sit with and not have to feel like you need to talk. As we sat there, it hit me again that we would be leaving this wonderful country soon.


Do I really have to leave this place?!? Sure, my German is still horrible, but I said "Danke schön" to a cashier today and she did NOT look at me like I accidentally told her that her mother is an elephant or something. There's hope for me, right?? RIGHT?!?

Okay, maybe not. But there is hope for this blog post, which will finally be posted! Pretty soon I can blog about everything that has happened SINCE we got back from Germany in July!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Once again --- gorgeous pictures. I would LOVE to have a farm market like that around here. WOW --- everything looks tasty -- well, not the flowers, but you know what I mean.

Jacki said...

The funny thing is, fish is for sale everywhere you go, but it's all in the form of mayo-based seafood salads. Ew. As an American, it was so strange for me to see all that seafood and not see a beautiful, huge filet! Guess they don't grill like we do! :)

Lynn said...

What great pics!!! And what a trip to remember. So when you going back?!?!