Friday, August 14, 2009

German Adventure Day 6: Thursday, July 23rd





We took a side trip to Berlin with Nils and his father Wolfgang, traveling by train. The train ride was a nice way to see some more of Germany, although I'm sure it would have been quite boring to someone who has seen it before. First we went to Potsdam, a short trip from Berlin, and visited the Sanssouci, palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. In the slide show below, you can see the extravagant, Rococo styling - this guy went all out!!













We also visited a windmill, which still grinds grain - one of the few places in the world that still does this. We got to meet the miller, and we also took some really cool pictures.







I think Wolfgang prefers to be behind the camera rather than in front of it!


Wolfgang went across the street and took these pictures; I love them:




After Potsdam, we went back to Berlin and took a boat trip:






















After dinner, we walked around Berlin and saw some of the sights. Mike got ahold of the camera and decided to take pictures of me...a lot of them.




Remember back in July when I wrote about photographer-itis, the lack of pictures of myself in my posts? I think Mike took matters into his own hands.
"Okay, you can stop taking my picture now..."

"Seriously...."



The last cool thing I want to show you is the pictures Mike took of a church in Berlin. Most of the church was destroyed during World War II, but part of it was left standing, and a new, modernistic tower was built right next to the remains.

I also love this picture because it shows Wolfgang and I eating my newfound love: gelato!!












I apologize for the long gaps between postings - school has started!!







No comments: