Monday, May 04, 2009

Day 3: Monday, April 13th

We explored Key West in the morning, then went on a guided kayaking trip.



I remember getting my picture taken with this "Thing" when I was last in Key West, when I was in middle school!
The "Thing" looked a lot smaller to me this time - I was a bit of a late bloomer!





We had a great time on our kayaking trip! I have always loved the mangroves, and we got up close and personal. We were guided by a very knowledgable, slightly eccentric guy, which was great because he knew where to look for things that we NEVER would have seen on our own.




That's Mike in our tandem kayak and Nils in his own vessel behind him. I made Mike do most of the paddling under the guise that I was taking pictures.





Nils meets a starfish.






Nils kayaks like a pro, just like any other sport I've seen him do.




Sometimes navigating the mangroves got a little hairy! Squeeze, Nils!





Family photo :)






Our guide. He preferred standing up in his vessel.





A sea urchin.





Our guide with a conch - one of my favorite pictures from the trip.





They look (and taste) like boogers! Now, don't go telling me that conch tastes good when it's cooked right, I don't buy it.




Our guide holding some type of magrove-dwelling Tribble minus the fur whose real name escapes me right now.



A few more Nils pictures:













Later that day, we visited the Audubon House. It's a historic house that has been pulled from the brink of demolition several times. I am so glad that there are people in this world who recognize the need to preserve such history.


The house shows what it's like to have lived in the Keys in the 19th century. This is the kid's room. Just LOOK at that flooring!!





The adults room. I loved the itty bitty cradle!






The quilt on the bed was beautiful, although obviously not original. Those colors just did not exist on fabrics in the 19th century!




The house was full of beautiful antiques.





The inside and outside were full of beautiful flowers. This is a rhodedendron bonsai, which I didn't even know you could do!






The garden was an orchid lovers' paradise!
















Key West is full of chickens. We got several stories as to how they got to be so prolific, but they sure were colorful! They had the run of the town.

I have decided that there aren't many things cuter than a baby chicken butt.
Tomorrow: Marathon!!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Awwwwwwww...such a cute chickie butt.

I used to have that first orchid. Ctna. Why Not is it's name. I wish I still had it. It was one of my favorites, but didn't like being moved to the new house. :-(

The kayak tripped looked like great fun. Steve and I are going to have to try that.

Lynn said...

I am loving your pictoral blog of your vacation. That is a cool house! We didn't get to that point, we went to Hemingway's house instead. LOVED that place!

Dee said...

I'm leaving a message on your blog because I lost all my email addresses when my computer crashed.

Yellow Dog was REALLY, REALLY good the other night. You'll have to let us know when you want to have a meet up.

Send me your email when you get a chance.

Dee