Sunday, March 01, 2009

Mollie Maggie Mae Wolfe

Now that I've teased you with pictures, I'll tell you the whole story of how we came to be a two-dog household. I'll go ahead and get the really difficult part out:

Sophie is really sick. She hasn't been the same since our trip to the doggie ER in December, and although we're still not sure what is wrong with her, the vet has given her less than 6 months to live. They think that's she's a lot older than what was originally thought, and she's really starting to show it. She's lost 18 pounds, which is a lot when you only weigh 48 to begin with. Our pets are very much a part of our family, and realizing all this feels like a punch in the gut. Sophie is such a good dog - always has been. I swear there have been times where it seems like she understands what I'm saying. Everyone who meets her comments on what a well-behaved dog she is, and that is not as a result of us being good pet parents, that's just how she is. As of now, she is doing fine as a result of some acupuncture (laugh all you want, it's working!!) So as long as she can maintain a good quality of life, we will keep her with us, and beyond that I can't really think.

Of course, we were devastated when we heard about Sophie. We have always thought that when she got older, we would get a puppy, but we never realized we would be considering it so soon. If there's one thing we know, it's that whenever we're ready, a new pet shows up, so we left it at that. About a week after this conversation, I kept having these thoughts of a dog named Mollie. They would just pop into my head when I was going about my day, and I kept dismissing them, thinking that maybe my 21 first graders had finally driven me over the edge. That weekend, two puppies showed up at our door - a pit bull and Mollie. Mike called me outside, and when I saw her, I thought "there she is." We found a home for the pit bull, and Mollie is adjusting to the sweet life of regular feedings, baths, and cuddles.


She was FILTHY and ridden with fleas - she had scratched off the hair on her hind legs, which you can see in the above picture. We think that she's a Golden Retriever/Australian Shepherd mix, but she's basically just a mutt! The vet thinks that she is about 8 months old, so we're getting a late start on housetraining, which requires a lot of patience :)

Mollies' likes:
~Food, or anything that can be construed as food. Frozen green beans are a favorite
~Toys, or anything that can be construed as a toy....like the recliner in our bedroom...RIP.
~Cuddling
~Running around like a maniac
~Trying to get to know her kitty sisters, who are not impressed by her attempts.


Mollie will soon be getting her very own picture in my sidebar. Welcome, Mollie!!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh I'm SO sorry to hear abt Sophie!! I'm glad the acupuncture is working. As long as it doesn't break the bank and is helping her, then it's absolutely worth it. It's always hard to lose a pet, but especially your first one with your dh. I'm glad you have Maggie, she won't replace Sophie, but she will make the grieving process easier. And good for you for taking her in. Poor thing looks like she's been thru a rough puppyhood.

Dee said...

Your Mom mentioned you had a new family member. She's a cutie for sure. Sorry to hear about the recliner though.

I'm glad Sophie has found something that makes her feel a bit better.