Saturday, August 09, 2008

Did You Know that I'm Also a Nerd?

That's right, folks, I am a full-blown science nerd. I love anything relating to nature, animals, dirt, and plants, so when I started reading about keeping worms for waste management and fertilizer, I knew I just had to give it a try. It's a combination of all the things I love!

I found these instructions, which explain how to set it up very clearly. I'm keeping it in our office closet, away from light and curious kitties.

You start it out with shredded paper, a few eggshells, and a light misting of water. Eventually, the paper will look more like soil and I'll be able to start adding kitchen waste. Instead of filling up landfills, some of our trash will be turned into free, rich fertilzer for our garden! Plus once they start reproducing Mike will have worms for fishing :)
They're already starting to produce worm castings (the little black things), which are black gold as far as dirt is concerned.

The farm is in a rubbermaid-type container for now.Morgan says, "Can I eat it?!?"
If this turns out well (and if I get a classroom), this would make a great classroom project!!

1 comment:

phyl said...

Your students are going to love your fun, adventurous, and "let's try that" side!! :)