Friday, July 18, 2008


The New Mexico Files: Wednesday, July 9th, 2008


I will be going through each day of our vacation, starting with the first day, which started in Florida waking up at oh-dark-thirty to head out to Orlando International Airport. Surprisingly, we got through security in record time, and aside from the oh-crap-I-just-know-I-forgot-something jitters (which I have at the start of EVERY trip), the whole day went pretty smoothly. We were lucky enough to have a direct flight to Albuquerque*, and I took my Dramamine, so no puking.


We got into Albuquerque a few minutes before 10:00 am, New Mexico time, and met some relatives who were also flying in that day and had rented a 10-passenger van. So Mike, myself, Nathan, Heidi, and all 5 kids piled into the van with ALL our luggage (THAT was fun!) and drove to the nearest Cracker Barrel to feed our jet-lagged stomachs. It was at the Cracker Barrel that I learned my first lesson about New Mexico: when someone says a food is spicy….it really is. Usually, in Florida I can eat foods labeled “spicy,” because, well…they usually aren’t. Not so here. I took one bite of my Spicy Southwestern Sausage and downed my entire Sprite in one gulp!


We arrived at my aunt and uncle’s house in White Rock, New Mexico that afternoon. By that time, the combination of Dramamine and a very high elevation was taking its toll on my body, so I took a short nap and felt much better afterwards. We went to the Overlook, which is a scenic area near the house where you can see the Rio Grande. One of my cousins (sister of the cousin who's getting married this trip) was married there. I was really starting to enjoy the scenery – so different from anything I’d ever seen before! And…..IT’S NOT AS HOT!! Actually, the temperature is about the same, but it feels so nice because it’s so dry. I could walk out of the house for 5 minutes and not break into a sweat! I could hug my husband and not have to towel off afterwards!! Wow!



Some pictures of the Overlook:

these pictures do NOT do it justice!!





there aren't many bugs in New Mexico, but these things were all over the place!



And now, ladies and gentlemen, get ready to see pictures of the world's most adorable six-year old:



*I’d just like to say that I figured out the spelling of Albuquerque on the first try. Go me!!

No comments: