Monday, July 21, 2008

The New Mexico Files: Thursday, July 10th, 2008



It's T-minus two days until my cousin's wedding!! And she's remarkably calm. Since she didn't seem to need me to calm her pre-wedding hysterics like she did for me (hey, my apartment was flooding, leave me alone!), I headed out to Bandolier National Monument with some of the family. The view was breathtaking!





See all those holes? People LIVED in some of those!




The fam. Part of them, anyway.








No, that's not my dad - it's his brother, Gerry. But they are so alike in their mannerisms I often found myself mistaking him for my dad.




Two members of Heidi and Nathan's extremely cute clan.





Hey look! I found another bug!






They had ladders that went up to some of the old Indian dwellings, and you could see the smoke from their fires on the ceilings.



I admire the tenacity of this tree.



Myself, along with Mike hiding behind me.





I love the progression of these next several pictures. This is Nathan with his youngest, the rambunctious but extremely cute boy you met in the last post:













Moving on to his buddy and idol David, a family friend. It's hard to get a good walking picture, so I had to show this one off.




While we rested after our hike (the elevation killed me!), these birds paid us a visit. I was hoping someone could identify them for me:





Obviously the male of the pair.



After Bandolier, Mike and I decided to borrow a car and head to Santa Fe to see the city. When we explore a new place, we like to visit lots of different restaurants and order a little food at each place - that way, we get to taste lots of new things. First, we visited a Mexican place in Pojoaque (don't even try to pronounce it!), where we got a delicious, wondefully unhealthy taco that shined from the oil it was fried in. Ohhh yeah, that's the good stuff.




I asked for rice and beans, and this is what I got:

Rice in some sort of weird red sauce I didn't really like and the best refried beans I ever tasted. The little cup in the middle was a deceptively spicy condiment of some sort - it started out mild tasting, then spead in my mouth until I was downing my water. But I managed a few bites....I must be getting used to all this spicy food!



Next, we visited The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. It was a beautiful church - you could see the Mexican influence in the architecture and decorations. Unfortunately they didn't allow flash inside, so none of my pictures turned out.





Okay, okay, back to the food! We went to a place that makes brick oven pizza and had a small pepperoni. They had a chile-infused olive oil on the table, and we ended up buying a bottle of it to take home to my parents for watching Sophie.


Yay for frozen yogurt! It was wonderful in the dry heat.




I bought some Hemp yarn at an, er, interesting shop that sold all sorts of hemp accessories. It made me feel like I was back in Gainesville, haha!!




When we got back from Santa Fe, we had a very important person waiting for us: my cousin Sarah (sister of the bride) with her baby Gwen! Gwen is the first baby of the next generation, and she's a real cutie.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite pictures because of the look on Gwen's face. I promise I don't usually scare children!!



She took to Mike a little better.




It was a busy day! And tomorrow will be even busier: wedding crunch time!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I have a picture of that same cathedral from when we went there many years ago! Very cool. I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Dee said...

Thanks for the tour. Looks like y'all had a good time.