Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The New Mexico Files: Sunday, July 13th, 2008

Our last day in New Mexico.....so sad! I'm really going to miss this place! I can see why people like to live here. In fact, this is the first time that I've ever seriously contemplated living somewhere other than Florida. Mike and I agreed that when we have oodles of money someday, we'll have a vacation home out here :)


This is Russian Sage, which is all over. Unfortunately it doesn't grow in Florida.
It sure is pretty, though!
We decided to borrow a car and head to Taos to see the sights. It was supposed to be an hour's drive from White Rock, but we got lost. Really lost. It wasn't our fault (and I won't say whose fault it was!), but the good part was we saw some awesome scenery that we otherwise would have missed. These pictures were taken from the car:
















The sky is even bluer in real life!! It was just awe-inspiring.






I wasn't as impressed with Taos as I was with Santa Fe, but it was still enjoyable. Lots and lots of tourist-y type shops. The architecture was very typical of New Mexico, but very atypical elsewhere!





We can only explore shops for so long, so we got a recommendation for a pub to get something to eat. It was a very cool restaurant - locally-oriented, with sustianable practices wherever possible. I loved their compostable water cups - they were made from corn! You can't get those in Leesburg!!




Mike had a grilled ham panini with cheese. The mustard was very coarse, and very yummy!



The Restaurant makes its own Root Beer! It was excellent!

I had a burger that came with colorful tortilla chips. It was good as far as restaurant burgers go, but it was so huge I couldn't eat it all. Mike was happy to help me out :)
Thus ends our wonderful trip to New Mexico. We had a wonderful time re-connecting with this side of my family, whom we don't get to see nearly as often as we'd like. Everything was a new, exciting experience. I hope we can come back very soon!!

2 comments:

Dee said...

The Russian sage is beautiful. It's a stark contrast to the browns that are so predominant.

Glad you had a good trip.

Lynn said...

Ok that last picture of the burger and chips was a fantastic one! I could see it in an ad or a menu! GREAT job!