Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nothing exciting has been going on around here. I started my second class for my teacher certification, and it's been going swimmingly. I have a great teacher, and I'm learning a lot about how to manage a classroom. I'm already starting to employ what I learn when I substitute teach, and one thing is starting to become apparent to me: I want to be a good teacher. A REALLY good teacher. I want to be that teacher that kids think of years later when asked about a person who made a big difference in their life. I know I have it in me. But there's got to be some major changes in the way I function. There's been a lot of stuff going on in my life that I can only describe as "crap," and it's really been weighing me down. So I have to decide what is worth making time for. It is worth making time for people like my husband, my parents, and my animals (yes they are people!). It is NOT worth making time to worry about a situation that is not going to change anytime soon. It is NOT worth making time to try to repair a relationship when the effort is one-sided. When I think of those things as getting in the way of being a great teacher, I am motivated to push those things aside, keeping my eyes on the goal. It reminds me of this Bible verse:

Brethren, I do not imagine that I have yet laid hold of it. But this one thing I do--forgetting everything which is past and stretching forward to what lies in front of me,with my eyes fixed on the goal I push on to secure the prize of God's heavenward call in Christ Jesus.

-Philippians 3:13-14, Weymouth New Testament version

Teaching is my "heavenward call." And I will do everything I can to "secure the prize," letting unimportant things fall to the wayside.

2 comments:

Dee said...

When you are feeling down just think of all the people that think you and Mike are terrific people. Yes, I know I haven't met Mike, but if you chose him as your life-mate --- he MUST be terrific.

I know you'll be a great teacher. You DO have it in you. You absolutely can be the teacher that kids will remember when they are old and grey!


Focus on the positive. You and Mike have many great things in your life ----Let your heart focus on those things. You can't change how others behave, but you can change how you react to it.

Kathleen said...

I'm glad that I matter in your life.