Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolution 2008

Some people are blessed with the natural ability to not be concerned when someone doesn't like them. I am not one of those people. I care if someone doesn't like me. I really, really care. I wish I didn't - but I do. What's more, if someone doesn't like me because of a misconception that I can do nothing to correct, it eats away at me. I don't normally do resolutions at the start of a new year, but in 2008, I am going to do my best to go against my instincts. I do NOT make my decisions lightly, and I will stick by them, no matter how wrong a person may think I am. Moreover, if that same person takes what little information they have and decides to pass judgment on me, not even bothering to get the whole story...there's nothing I can do to change that. I can show that person Christian love to the best of my ability, but ultimately, they make their own decisions. I am a good person. I am an adult. I make my own decisions, and I will let other people do the same - even if it's hurtful to me. However, I refuse to put any more emotion into a relationship that is deleterious to me and me marriage. And that's MY prerogative.


Happy New Year.



4 comments:

Dee said...

Happy New Year to you and Mike (and the furkids too).

You've come across a very important tenent to happiness. I wish you well with your resolution. It will make all the difference in the world to you and Mike.

Melissa said...

It is possible to let it go, and gets easier with practice. There's nothing wrong with trying to clear up a misunderstanding, but there's only so much you can do. A person's perception is just that - their perception. It means nothing in terms of who you are and why you make the decisions you do. Sometimes people's perceptions are just plain wrong, but why should you pay for that emotionally?

Signed,

Still Working on it Myself but Getting There

kraftycrab/pat said...

The way I look at it, it's their loss if they don't like you. You can't please everyone. Please the people you really care about. You don't have to go out of your way to please someone you don't like but still can be nice to them. Be yourself and people will like and respect you. We all have flaws and aren't perfect but if we go by the golden rule-do unto others as we would have them do unto us--life would be alot easier and better. You can do it! Sometimes it hurts to lose a friendship (so called) but again, it's their loss. Keep your chin up and enjoy life!

Jacki said...

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I think you said it, Pat: please the people you really care about. I've learned that if the people that are really close to me support me, I shouldn't pay attention to those who just want to stick their nose in! I'm trying to not let myself pay emotionally for someone else's poor decisions, and it's good to know someone else is fighting the same fight, Melissa :) And Dee, this is one area where I really wish I was more like Mike! He's much better at this than me.