Saturday, September 08, 2007

Pretty Painting

When we moved into our first house back in May, it was painted (inside and outside) with a tan color that I've heard being referred to as "Buyer's Beige." Usually this means that the sellers paint the entire house a very neutral color in order to appeal to the largest number of buyers. It was fine when we were still getting the house in order, but I'm tired of living in a sea of tan. BO-ring! So I've been holding paint chips up to the walls of the master bedroom, and I finally found the colors I want.

The wall will be a cream with just a touch of blue in it, and the trim will be light blue. I want to do some kind of faux finish on the focal wall (the wall behind the bed), but challenge has been to decide WHICH kind of finish to do. So I've been spending time in the garage, painting test boards. I tried sponge painting first, but it wasn't doing it for me:

Dark Blue bottom layer, with light blue sponging


Same thing, but with another layer of sponging over top in cream





I can't really explain why, but the sponging just wasn't appealing to me. So I went back the the drawing board (or maybe painting board? yuk yuk) and decided to give dragging a try. I'm pretty pleased with the results:


Light blue bottom layer with dark blue dragged over.

Close-up

It's fairly easy to do, but I'm glad I decided to do a test board first. I've found that the more you faux paint, the more you pick up little tricks that make it look better. All you basically do is drag the paintbrush very lightly through the paint to give it a cloth-like look.

What do you think? I'm thinking I'm going to go for it! Next step: convincing my mom to help me!

3 comments:

Dee said...

I like the dragging.

Melissa said...

Agreed, the dragging looks great!

And your post is inspiring me to at least choose colors for our "buyer's white" walls (four years since we've moved in, only three rooms are painted). Even if we can't paint right away, at least we'll have colors in mind.

Jacki said...

Thanks for the compliments, guys. And I'm glad I could be a source of inspiration to you, Melissa :)