Sunday, September 16, 2007

How My Week Went

My week was consumed with painting the master bedroom, which has taken much longer than I expected it to, and also is a lot more of a pain than I ever thought it would be. I have learned one thing about faux painting:


My mom came over on Tuesday to help me do the "dragging" method on the focal wall. We'd never tried this particular method before, but we've done other finishes successfully, so I didn't think there would be any problem. Boy, was I wrong!! It looked awful. Just awful. We couldn't get it to look consistent, or even inconsistent enough to look artistic. So for now the wall is just plain blue:

(do not notice the unmade bed.)

It may or may not stay that way, depending on whether or not I come up with any ideas. In addition I have renamed the "Buyer's Beige" that was on our walls to "Torturous Tan." On my first go-around, I had to paint over it twice to cover it completely. By the end of that day, I was so frustrated I was just about ready to live with a half-painted room. But I kept on keepin' on, and on the second wall I painted the first coat on really thick and was able to avoid putting on a second coat. Yes!!

Morgan has been an absolute pain this week. I think she's going through the equivalent of the terrible twos. When she's in the bedroom while I'm painting, this is what she does:




Yes, that is a dab of paint on her nose. She also got one on top of her head later. However, when I kick her out, she bumps against the pocket door so that all I hear in BANG...BANG...BANGBANGBANG!!! I can't figure out which is worse. She's also figured out that the kitchen counters are a great place to hang out, because she can knock everything onto the floor.



Sophie and Brooklyn know how to behave when mommy is painting: shed hair all over the new couch!




Other than that, not much has been going on around here, besides Sophie working on her tan:


Yesterday we went to a friends' house to watch the Gators beat Tennessee and play with their baby. Great times all around! Then this morning I got to watch the baby during church because her mom was playing in the praise band and her dad was working. It was great practice! It makes me want to have kids...in a few years. Sorry, mom!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Morgan is only doing what cats do - you know, get into stuff, wrap themselves in plastic, paint their nose ... what else can she do with all that tempting stuff around? Heck, when I paint, I want to wrap myself in plastic by the second wall!

stuart said...

Haha! Great story. I can so relate. It's amazing how much having pets is like having kids. We have both and it gets double crazy!

Kimmie said...

Looks like you have a few kids (especially the way your kitty was playing while you were trying to finish up the painting ;-)

My Knight and I started with a yellow Lab (Amber) that was our baby for the first 5 years of our marriage...we loved her so much. Good parenting practice...she taught us so much in her lifetime.

blessings to you and your husband!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
(thanks for your prayers ;-)