Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Vacation Diaries Continued: Tuesday, June 5th, 2007

Today we decided to go to Virginia City, an old silver mining city. I still can’t get used to the stark Southwestern landscape. When we were driving there, tumbleweeds would blow across the road in front of us.


Virginia City was on top of a mountain, and it was very WINDY! I was glad I thought to bring our jackets. The city itself was kind of small, just a strip of tourist-type stores and restaurants. We went into an old saloon that gave underground tours of a mine. We walked in the place and all I could concentrate on was how bad I needed to go to the bathroom, and I knew they wouldn’t like it if we just used their bathrooms and walked out - plus we were getting tired of walking the storefronts, so we bought tickets for the mine tour. Once we went underground, I got a little nervous. We were in a mine that dated back to the 1850s, and I didn't know what had been done to the area since then. I had no idea what kind of safety measures the people giving the tour were taking…who ARE those people, anyway? For all we knew, they were serial killers. Luckily nothing bad happened, and it turned out to be pretty interesting. Mike got a little tired of bending over, however. People way back when were much shorter than people today, Mike especially (he’s 6-foot-5). He was glad they provided helmets. We had a picnic lunch after that, then walked around a little more. We got tired of Virginia City in the early afternoon, and decided to try a buffet in Reno for dinner. It was huge, with the most desserts I’ve ever seen in one place, and pretty good. Excellent prime rib. Then we went back to the unit, hung out in the resort’s hot tub, and relaxed for the rest of the evening. Virginia City wasn’t quite what I was expecting; we were hoping to get a little more history, but we still enjoyed being together and being on vacation.


No comments: