Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Vacation Diaries Continued: Friday, June 8th, 2007


Our last day of vacation. We decided to go to Lake Tahoe one last time, and got tickets for a 2:00 lunch cruise on a paddleboat. While we were waiting, we drove a short ways to Heavenly Ski Resort in Stateline, Nevada. We’ve decided that if we ever go out West to snow ski, we’ll go to Heavenly. We wanted to ride the gondola, which we were told runs during the summer for sightseeing; unfortunately, it was closed for maintenance until next week. It seems like everything starts NEXT WEEK! The paddleboat cruise on Lake Tahoe was great; I’m really glad we went. I got some great pictures, and the views were amazing. I just tried to drink it all in and remember exactly what it was like to look on Lake Tahoe.

It was neat to watch the paddle wheels turn


I think that even if I lived in the area and drove by the lake every day, I would still never get used to the awesome sight. On the cruise we saw Vikingsholm Castle, which was built by a wealthy woman in the late 1800s in a Scandinavian style. The woman bought over 200 acres of prime Tahoe real estate for a quarter million dollars. I can’t imagine what that land is worth now!

On the top of the island is a tea house that the owner of Vikingsholm Caste took tea at every day.

After the cruise we took one last drive through the Tahoe National Forest back to Reno and went to a family-owned Italian restaurant for dinner. The place was very nice, with white tablecloths and fabulous food. I had the lasagna and a mixed greens salad, and Mike had something called Saltimbocca, which was chicken with prosciutto and a sherry reduction. It was all very tasty. For dessert we decided to walk on the wild side and try the flourless chocolate cake, which was 80% cocoa. I was worried it would be too rich, but it was just right and melted in my mouth. I wish we didn’t have to leave Reno and Tahoe, but we hope we can come back soon.


No comments: