Sunday, May 06, 2007

It is late, I can't sleep, and I have something on my mind.

These three things together may not make for a very eloquent rambling, but there's something I've been thinking about on and off for the past several weeks.

Last week Mike and I went to a friend's house who is a professor at the University of Florida. He has been leading a Bible study this semester, which I've been to a few times, and he and his wife hosted an end-of-semester dinner, which we were invited to. There was a couple there who had just become engaged. They seemed very nice, and during the discussion part of the evening, they both seemed to have an intimate relationship with God. Over the course of the evening, they mentioned several things in passing that made me wonder if they were living together. After we left, Mike and I compared our notes and concluded that yes, they must be living together. Hmmm. Then the next day, I got a friend request on myspace from an old friend from middle school to whom I haven't spoken in years. I was puttering around on her myspace page, and I read her "about me" section, which said something like, "Hi, my name is ******* and I live with my boyfriend *******. I love the Lord with all my heart and know Jesus can get me through anything!" And on it went about her relationship with God.

What's going on here? Is this a new thing where all the sudden, it's okay for people who profess to believe in Jesus to live together before they're married? Let me clarify: it's not so much the "living together" part that bothers me, it's this: there is no way you can convince me that you're living with your girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other and not having sex. Let's be serious, here...that's just not practical. So if a person is a Christian, but lives with their unmarried partner, do they think that premarital sex is okay? Or have they given in and are in some sort of denial to make themselves feel better? Or did they become believers after the living situation was in place and not know how to fix it? I guess the thing that *really* bothers me is how often I see young adults who are Christians, but regularly are promiscus and seem to think nothing of it. On one hand, I've been unmarried before, and I know how unmarried life is FULL of temptations (and let's not even get started about temptation in married life!). But on the other hand, I believe that God's plan for us is sex after marriage, not before.

Help me out here. What's going on?

No comments: