Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Book Catch-Up


I started out the year listing all the books I had read, but fell out of the habit once the house-buying process kicked in. I HAVE been reading, although not as much as I usually like to. Here are some of them:




  • Stick a Geranium in Your Hat an Be Happy, by Barbara Johnson.



  • This book was not what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be more about overcoming pain in your life, and in a roundabout way, it was. The author details all the pain she has gone through in her life, but I found the book to be lacking in strategies for overcoming adversity, save for some cute quotes and Bible verses at the end of each chapter. The book mainly focuses on how the author's son came out of the closet, and how this put her life into a tailspin. I think this book was geared more toward ladies from the author's generation: 50s and above. Overall, I didn't really think it was worth reading.



  • The Covenant, by Beverly Lewis



  • This was part of the Abram's daughters series by Beverly Lewis. Lewis writes lots of books about the Amish community, which I have always been interested in. I read this book in one day, on the way back from Kentucky. I could not get enough of this book! Something about the simplicity of the Amish life intrigues me.


Like I told my brother when I was in Kentucky, "I look forward to actually learning now that I'm done with college." I plan on reading a lot more, and what I want to! Look for more as I remember what I've read.

1 comment:

Janna said...

I too have read the B.Jordan book. It wasn't what i expected either, but later proved to be helpful. It does seem to be written to an older crowd, but I do think she can be helpful. I think I've read another book of hers also. I need to read more fun books for I'm alittle overwhelmed right now with so many serious books.