Thursday, March 01, 2007

Book Review: Marley and Me, By John Grogan


I actually finished this book over Christmas, but I enjoyed it so much that I had to share it with you. A tale about the "world's worst dog," Marley and Me was the best book I have read in a long time. It's HILARIOUS; I had to stop reading it in bed because I kept waking Mike up from laughing. Anyone who's ever owned a dog will love this book. Even though it's full of laughs, it also contains one of the most poignant portrayels of losing a dog that I have ever read. I lost my Golden Retriever six years ago, but when I read Grogan's account of losing Marley, I cried. Grogan has an extraordinary talent of describing events so you feel like you're there. Can you tell I really like this book? You've GOT to read this book!

2 comments:

Dee said...

I read this book when it first came out. The author comes from the area where my parents lived.

I think I laughed myself silly when Marley ate the wall.

John writes a column for the Philadelphia Inquirer. If you like his style of writing, check out his columns. They are usually pretty good.

www.philly.com (Philadelphia Inquirer)

Janna said...

My 1/2sister recommended me reading this book. I was shocked that I actually tried to find it and got on the list to check it out. Still haven't read it but feeling more pressure to do so soon.