Friday, February 02, 2007

Book Catch-Up!

I have decided to share the books that I read this year with you, my dear readers!! Here are the two I've read so far.

  • I Was a Slave in Russia - John Noble
    • Source: Books, Inc. A used bookstore here in Gainesville
    • This book looked so old I couldn't believe it wasn't falling apart. It listed the most recent copyright date as 1958! It also said that cloth-bound versions of the book were available for three dollars. I couldn't even find a picture of the cover online to post. Nevertheless, this book was quite eye-opening. The author was living with his family in post-WWII Germany in Dresden, which was taken over by the Russians. He spent a number of years in a prison without being told of his crime (there was none), then was moved to a slave camp in Northern Russia, where he managed to stay alive for nine years before he was released. I had no idea that could happen! He was very frank about his experiences while in prison and the slave camp It's hard to imagine having over a decade of your life taken away from you.
    • Source: Books, Inc.
    • I suspect that this book is used as a textbook, but since I am familiar with psychological terms, I found it very interesting. It covered groups like the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Amish, and the Gypsies. I have always been interested in anthropology, especially involving the Amish, and this book presented an unbiased account of the groups it described. It did a good job of describing any unfamiliar terms or theories it mentioned, so a person not acquainted with psychology or sociology could still read it, but it would probably not be an easy read. I found it to be immensely imformative and interesting.

No comments: