Saturday, August 26, 2006

That burns me up!

I just spent almost $500 on textbooks. Let that sink in for a moment: five. hundred. dollars. Almost as much as I spend on rent every month. Now, take the expression on your face, do that for three hours, and you'll be where I am right now! It just makes me so mad that textbook publishers take advantage of students the way they do - not because I think college kids deserve special treatment, but because I believe college kids deserve to be treated like human beings. First off, every year, they take a book, put in a new graph or picture, and call it a new edition. Then, they bundle it together with study guides, learning cd's and the like and convince professors to require it all for their class. Even if the teacher doesn't fall for this, they often have no choice, because the old edition (which is essentially the same thing) is no longer sold. This is insanity. To the textbook companies out there: your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

No comments: