Monday, May 29, 2006

Okahumpka: a Town, Not a Shady Store

Hello all,
I saw my grandmother this weekend for Memorial Day, and she said I don't update my blog very often. To this I said, "yes I.......don't." Okay, so sue me. I don't update as often as I should. Sorry. I really have been very busy.

Our Travels
Beginning of last week, Mike and I went to Clermont so Mike could work with my dad for a few days. This was good for him, but it was especially good for me because I got to meet with the head of the Teacher Certification Program offered by Lake Sumter Community College, and she was very helpful. It looks like this is what I'm going to shoot for. They offer a 6-month program where you go Friday night and Saturday morning, and it's the equivalent of taking one graduate class a month - pretty intensive. Apparently the state of Florida REALLY needs teachers right now, because the lady told me not to be surprised if I get offered temporary certification to teach while I'm taking my classes, which intimidates me to no end. I think those kids would chew me up and spit me out at this point, but I look forward to having enough training to get into the classroom someday.
The next day my mom and I went to the school she volunteers and substitutes at, and I got to see a few kindergarten teachers in action. I never thought about teaching kids that young, but I really felt a connection with them. So we shall see.
While we were in Clermont we also researched where we could live after we're done with school. I always figured Leesburg, but it turns out the new compost facility Mike will be working at is actually in Okahumpka, where houses are a LOT more reasonable. There's also several more grease spots that are possibilities, like Center Hill and Sumterville. So it looks like we're going to have to be a lot bigger rednecks than we originally thought. This should be fun!

The Last Stand...or is it?
Mike and I saw X-Men III today, and it was pretty gol' darn good. They make you think it's the last in the series, but the end is one heck of a cliffhanger, so maybe we haven't seen the last of the mutants. I hope they at least do a Wolverine spinoff.

And lastly, blogger is behaving this time, so here's a picture of my groom for your viewing pleasure. I hope everyone is doing well.


-Jacki