Saturday, February 18, 2006

An Update and Some Musings


Hello everyone,

I was looking for an excuse to sit in my computer chair because Mike and I finally got around to buying our Christmas present: a massage thingy that straps onto a chair. They've had it on display at Bed Bath and Beyond for forever, and you go there all the time when you're planning a wedding, so we've been wanting one for a long time. Whoever invented this thing was a genius.


Sophie is doing better
Sophie continues to get better. I noticed today that they stitched her up using bright blue thread...I guess you have to express your creativity somewhere. The vet told me to cook chicken for her all week because the antibiotics upset her stomach (the dog, not the vet's), so she's been getting majorly spoiled. But she continues to get better, so that's all that matters.


Now For My Musings
Let me start off by saying how much I love my new job. I should have done this a long time ago. Knowing when I'm working enables me to have time to do the things I love. But there has been an interesting side effect to this whole having a life thing...I have realized that I have none. One thing about my old job was that I was so busy that I never stopped to realize that I am in a weird time in my life.

Let me try to explain myself: after Mike and I got back from our Honeymoon, our relationships with our friends changed. I spent some time being bitter about the way some wedding party members acted at our wedding, but now that I have time to think about it, I realize something: this has a lot less to do with immaturity and a lot more to do with the fact that my friends and I are at VERY different places in our lives right now. We just don’t talk to a lot of our friends anymore, and I think it’s because we don’t have anything to talk about. So, like the old Steeler’s Wheel song goes, “I’m stuck in the middle with you.” I don’t have anything in common with people my own age, and I don’t have enough in common with married people to easily make friends. I know that I need to put myself out there and try harder to make friends, and now that I can’t use time as an excuse anymore, I’m going to try and make at least a few friends. I have never once regretted any of the decisions I have made regarding my relationship with Mike, from moving to Gainesville to getting married young...never. I feel so lucky to have found someone that I can hopefully spend the next 70 years with. I am eternally grateful for the bond I have with my husband, but it just doesn’t replace friendships.


I think that’s about all for this episode of “Please Feel Sorry for Me.” Tune in next time for an equally un-exciting story.

No comments: